[TriLUG] Reverse Samba?

Kevin Kreamer kevin at kreamer.org
Thu Mar 22 22:02:36 EDT 2007

MG wrote:
> Well, now,  I"m confused again.  I thought the shares had to be
> physically on the Linux box.  I set the share I used up on Linux - I
> named a directory in a particular partition on Linux, entered that name
> in samba.conf. and pointed to it from Windows using the Map Network
> Drive option of the Tools menu in the Windows Folder menus.  Windows
> could see the Samba share from there, so I could move stuff back and
> forth on those shares.  I couldn't get Linux to see the Windows drives
> at all, even with file sharing on, either through Samba or on the
> network, although the Windows machine itself shows up.
>
> I've not done file sharing on Windows before, so the problem may just be
> my own ignorance of how Windows operates.  But then that would make it
> outside the focus of this group, which I understand is about a
> -rational- operating system.

I think his post assumes that you can access a share on the Windows
machine from the Linux box.  As to that, be sure that the shares aren't
being filtered out by a firewall.  If it is XP, you can check on Windows
firewall by going to Control Settings > Windows Firewall, click on the
Exceptions tab, and make sure that "File and Printer Sharing" is checked
(more specifically smb sharing uses ports 137-139).  Make sure other
firewall software isn't running (like ZoneAlarm or Norton Firewall),
especially if it isn't an XP machine.

Kevin