[TriLUG] Speeding up the boot process of a Linux box

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 14:01:40 EDT 2007

On 3/27/07, Kevin Otte <nivex at nivex.net> wrote:
> That's just it.  They are time tested (roughly 30 years in fact) and proven
> serial methods of booting.  With the advent of hotplug hardware and the
> like, the ability to handle such things has been grafted on to the process.
> What upstart seeks to do is make the entire shooting match event driven such
> that handling of these events happens closer to the core.  This just happens
> to (hopefully) have the added benefit of a faster boot time.

That's exactly why Apple ditched init in favor of launchd[1][2].  I still think
it's too bad that Ubuntu had to go create something new but I guess
the timing of the relicensing of launchd[3] didn't work out well enough.

Cheers,
Tanner

[1] http://launchd.macosforge.org/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launchd