[TriLUG] Memory Monitor on a Redhat system

Robert Dale robdale at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 00:16:49 EDT 2007

On 3/29/07, Tim Jowers <timjowers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nope, I said that. Imagine if I said, "well, Linux box can only address 2GB
> of your 12GB RAM".  Would that be enterprise ready?  That's just old school.
> Of course one can run a 64 bit JVM and get to more RAM but Linux does allow
> you to address up to 64GB with a 32bit architecture. 32-bit JVM's do not.
> Why? They are a "virtual machine" so do not know about PAE. They *could* but
> I guess Intel would be the one to contrib to Java. Maybe now that the JVM is
> being Open Sourced one can expect that sort of innovation. I heard AMD
> contrib'ed a major part of the 64 bit Linux arch code???

I was curious about PAE (highmem option in the kernel) and did some
searching.  While everything I managed to find did say that linux
could address 64gb, processes were still bound to 3gb user (+ 1gb
kernel = 4gb).  I'd be interested to see references to processes being
able to address more or programs that are PAE-aware.

--
Robert Dale