[TriLUG] Memory Monitor on a Redhat system

Kevin Kreamer kevin at kreamer.org
Wed Apr 4 01:21:16 EDT 2007

Tom Le wrote:
> Sorry...I've been so busy with other stuff and have not had time to
> work on this ... anyway, this is from /proc/meminfo
>
> # cat /proc/meminfo
> MemTotal:     16053064 kB
> MemFree:         50312 kB
> Buffers:        361476 kB
> Cached:       11939288 kB
> SwapCached:       7900 kB
> Active:        9351852 kB
> Inactive:      6222640 kB
> HighTotal:           0 kB
> HighFree:            0 kB
> LowTotal:     16053064 kB
> LowFree:         50312 kB
> SwapTotal:    10485720 kB
> SwapFree:     10212028 kB
> Dirty:             464 kB
> Writeback:           0 kB
> Mapped:        4968184 kB
> Slab:           392296 kB
> Committed_AS: 13508612 kB
> PageTables:     151168 kB
> VmallocTotal: 2147483647 kB
> VmallocUsed:      9376 kB
> VmallocChunk: 2147472663 kB
> HugePages_Total:     0
> HugePages_Free:      0
> Hugepagesize:    16384 kB
>
> actual used memory = 3.5 G
>
> jboss did not give any error message - it would just not start and I
> think it's because of (out-of) memory problem.
>
> This is the options for jvm: "-server -Xverify:none -Xms1024m -Xmx2560m"
> jboss is probably caching all the memory; and if that is the case,
> would anyone suggest how to flush the cache?
> The machine is 64-bit and we are running IBM jdk 1.5 for ppc64

It looks like most of your memory is just kernel caching, for which the
kernel only uses memory that is not otherwise needed.  It always caches
   about as much memory as you have left over. (the theory being: why
let the memory just sit there when you can have it speeding up your
system)  I think you might have a different problem than running out of
memory.

When you said that jboss didn't give any error message, are you
referring to errors from the logs or on the command line?  If the
command line, check to see if you got any error messages in your logs.
(check under /var/log)

Kevin