[TriLUG] sftp/ssh to boxes behind a firewall

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Wed Apr 4 08:16:06 EDT 2007

I'm looking for the best/easiest way to do this.

I have a few machines behind my firewall at home. I have 1 port setup
for ssh/sftp to one machine. However, i have a second machine I need to
get to from time to time.

Currently, I ssh to machine 1, then have to ssh to machine 2. Is there
anyway, using ssh to create a kind of tunnel like I can with vnc over
ssh, that will allow me to directly ssh/sftp to the second machine?  For
example, if I have a document on machine 2, I currently ssh to machine
1, sftp the document from machine 2 to machine 1, then sftp the document
from machine 1 to the workstation I'm on. Is there a better/easier way
that is still using ssh/sftp?

TIA,
Roy