[TriLUG] pam_mount questions

Brian Blater brb.lists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 14:33:06 EDT 2007

I have a question I can't seem to find a solution to. On my
previous distro (openSUSE) I was able to add the pam_mount module and
get a few cifs shares to mount upon login. A google search showed I
should be able to do the same with kubuntu.

So, I installed libpam-mount and configured the pam_mount.conf and
created a .pam_mount.conf in the user's home dir.

I added the following lines to /etc/pam.d/login and kdm,
auth optional pam_mount.so use_first_pass
session optional pam_mount.so

Now when I login from a vt, I get prompted to enter my password a
second time, but the shares are mounted. However, when I login via the
gui the shares aren't mounted.

Any idea what I'm missing here? Why does it ask for the second
password? and why am I not getting the mounted directories when using the gui
to login?

Thanks for your help.
Brian