[TriLUG] screwed disk

Robert Dale robdale at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 18:33:14 EDT 2007

On 4/5/07, jason at monsterjam.org <jason at monsterjam.org> wrote:
> http://forums.xandros.com/viewtopic.php?p=191912
> will tell the story sofar.. now Ive got a totally unusable computer..
>
> any suggestions?
> should
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
> have wiped out my partition table ??

Yup.  Byte 446 starts the primary partitions.

But usually one would run some sort of bootloader command immediately
after which would have restored the MBR.  My guess is that you
rebooted instead.  This is why it's a good idea to back up your MBR
before making changes to it.

I'm curious why you just didn't set up grub to boot xandros since it
was already working.  I had no idea anyone still used lilo.

As for "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(3,1) " I think you could have run rdev to tell the
kernel where root was.

--
Robert Dale