[TriLUG] screwed disk

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Thu Apr 5 19:35:52 EDT 2007

> oh well, so to my next question.. is there any way to get the files
> off the disk somehow?  theres a few id like to salvage.

If the Linux partition was /dev/hda1, then you could boot Knoppix,
run 'fdisk' and re-create the partition.  Guess (on the large side)
for the size.  You might be able to mount the partition READ-ONLY.

Lucky example: 80G drive
hda1 - Linux root, 75G
hda2 - swap, 5G

Just make a new partition table starting at zero and using up at
least 75G, maybe more, maybe even the whole disk.

Unlucky example: 80G drive
hda1 - swap, 5G
hda2 - Linux root, 75G

In this case, who knows where the partition starts?  Unless you used
clean numbers like "+1024M" or something when you first partitioned.

Chances are, some installer did the partitions for you and you did
not pay much attention to them.  In that case, guess with fdisk and
then try to mount the filesystem read-only.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Alan

.