[TriLUG] ad on linux

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Fri Apr 6 08:56:16 EDT 2007

You don't need the sledgehammer.

I did exactly what you are asking about 3 years ago with Samba 3.x and
RHEL 3.0 (this was for a corp). Now I've not used it as a PDC, but as a BDC.

We set it up where the domain had full control of the shares on the
RHEL3 boxes (yes MANY boxes) as well as some Solaris 2.8 boxes (woohoo!
samba rocks).

Now with that said, do you really need a PDC?

Why not just set a linux box up using Samba in a "shares = user" and use
a password.map structure? Then you can alias groups in the password.map.
Have 3, 1 for you, i.e. jwatts = jwatts, on for her, jwattsgf =
jwattsgf, and one for sharing jwandgf  = jwandgf. Then in your
samba.conf file, simply use the group settings for the user structure,
i.e write users = @jwandgf.

Samba and CUPS play nicely together so this would solve the issue of
print sharing. Also, with SWAT, you can do this all via webconsole.

HTH,
Roy