[TriLUG] re: SUSE 10.1 Distro

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Fri Apr 6 23:10:35 EDT 2007

John - good catch on that one. openprinting.org rocks. It's a great way
to pick the right printer to work with Linux. The Lexmark products that
work perfectly are all products with on-board processors and mostly
postscript capability.

The low-end Lexmark products depend heavily on the host computer's CPU
to rasterize and print the document. It's how they are able to sell the
printers so cheaply.

Expendibles cost for that printer is huge. That's because it produces
black (well, really dark grey) by mixing all three primary colors from
one cartridge, a tri-color cartridge. The $20 cartridge won't last very
long when printing black.

JKB