[TriLUG] Triangle Open Source Lab - Do it. Don't just talk about it.

Cristóbal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 16:33:09 EDT 2007

On 4/7/07, Magnus <magnus at trilug.org> wrote:

> As a member of TriLUG, I'd like to ask why do all open source events
> need to be hosted under the TriLUG flag?

I didn't say they did. I asked people who were interested in setting
up such events to contact us because they clearly can be.

> For a change, I don't think Jim did anything inappropriate.

Agreed, though I think it would be a regrettable duplication of effort
to set up an entire parallel organization for the purpose of holding
events like what he describes, esp. since he mentioned RHCE study
sessions. Now, the mission/thrust/aim of this proposed organization
might be miles away from TriLUG's, but it hasn't been articulated yet,
and from what *has* been articulated, it sounds quite a bit like
something the TriLUG membership would be interested in.

Am I wrong?

One of the things some of the members of Steering articulated as a
goal last Summer was a revival of Saturday training sessions, but that
fell through due to a perceived lack of interest. We would love to
actually get something in addition to the monthly meetings going, but
it has to be with the support and leadership of the members.

The recent Lunch and visit to IBM sparked by a visitor were great
examples of what can happen when you have TriLUG members stepping up
and taking advantage of TriLUG resources (mailing list and wiki in
those examples). Thanks to Rob, Tanner, and several other members for
making those events successful.

Again, if you have a suggestion for something you want to see happen,
please contact the steering committee
(http://www.trilug.org/?q=node/43) or contact me directly (off list,
plz).

Thanks again,