[TriLUG] re: do it

Marty Ferguson martyferg at nc.rr.com
Sun Apr 8 14:59:55 EDT 2007

Hello, all

I hope that my posting here is not the death knell for Jim's venture.
So ofttimes it seems that whenever I toss in my 2 cents, the topic is
quashed.

I first met Jim about 10 years ago, in early 1997.  Jim didn't know how to
pronounce  "Liiiiii nooks" at the time.  We met while my father and I were
running an OSS booth at the old [now pulverized] downtown Raleigh
Convention Center (...where outside the Acorn dropped each new years' eve
for First Night Raleigh...) ...but I digress.

He's  "The B-52's" of the Linux world here in the triangle.  That's
where it's at:- bring your jukebox money.

Jim is a truly mighty person.  When he showed up at our "We are Linux
Entrepenuers"
booth, my dad (a BSD dude) and I were running  back in 1997, Jim was
wearing a
"Whirled Peas" custom silkscreened T-shirt.
(.... get it... "world peace" ... the  [.*\@{,99}]#&% regex hippie)

Within a month after that, the RAT came to another dad and I  ran,
effervescing over
about the fact that he had purchased an open-source (Beastie-ish)
published CD-ROM
for 0$0.98 less than we  were selling.... when the other table was junk
chattle, and we were
quite obviously open-source professionals.   Oh, yeah, by the way, rat:
...xyz you and the
ninety-eight-cent horse you rode in on, cowboy.  We !still! have no
competition.

Over these past 10 years, each of us have gone our own direction.  I
have suffered
as a classroom trainer in UNIX/Linux Systems, and Jim and suffered as a
Systems Integrator
for Unix/Windows connectivity.
(a noble tilting of windmills, Don Q. Jim!, showing bad boys how to play
nice)
But throughout it all, both he and I have perservered: doing, promoting,
and singing praise.

>From any perspective,  these pat many years have have been a  "long row
to how."
Jim has gone begging for good beer (no aluminium, no screw-cap bottles)
just as much as I.

For some people, Linux is an avocation; a hobby or sideline.
For others, such as Jim and I, it is a passion with real meaning,
substance,and  life experiences,
- Like saving a customer a bucket of money through innovative integration.
- Like fully indoctraiting/brainwashing a classroom student into the
UNIX way.
- Like being inexplicably  thrilled to meet Linus' wife and kid, baby
stroller and all.

It's all about the liberalization of technology.  So for those of you who
truly care about a future for each and every one of us, I would
wholeheartedly
suggest that you move forward.  Hitch your wagon with Jim.  He will
never be an
uber-techno-geek  (nor ever will I.)  But he understands that 89 % of
the iceburg is
submerged; and that, my friends is where the Titanic dies, and the real
wisdom lies.

My Best,
Marty

Jim Ray wrote:

>I was counting on the folks interested in coming to the party define the
>focus since I don't have one.
>
>Our group actually started out several years ago as a TriLUG Red Hot
>Certified Engineer study group hosted at my house that was a pure hands-on
>gathering that drank beer and ate chocolate.
>
>Matt Frye was kinda the ring leader back in the day (at least I'll blame it
>on him).  We're more interested in doing things than in hearing people speak
>about things.
>
>Lots of our members work with Winders on our day jobs yet love to learn and
>to implement open source solutions because we can.
>
>Regards,
>
>Jim
>
>Jim Ray, President
>Neuse River Networks
>tel: 919-838-1672 cell: 919-606-1772
>http://www.Neuse.Net
>
>Connecting You to the World since 1997

       The global oil production peak
       is not a cult theory, it's a fact.
       The earth does not have a creamy
       nougat center of petroleum.  -- James Howard Kunstler