[TriLUG] SysAdmin job at ECU

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 11:16:51 EDT 2007

FYI  - Same ECU job with more detail

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sweatte, Joel <SWEATTEJ at ecu.edu>
Date: Apr 13, 2007 10:16 AM
Subject: RE: Other
To: Matt Frye <mattfrye at gmail.com>

Thanks Matt,

The College of Technology and Computer Science at East Carolina
University has an opening for a Systems Administrator. The position
may be applied for by going to www.ecu.edu, the position number is
40685. The title of the position is Educational Systems Coordinator
but don't be confused it's a Systems Admin position.

The priority for this position is to support the Computer Science
dept. and the Software Engineering activities of that dept. The
position also has overall *NIX support responsibility for the entire
college which has 3 deptartments in addition to CS, they are
Technology Systems, Engineering, and Construction Management. This
position will demand a person with excellent interpersonal skills.
Daily interaction with faculty, students, and staff is required so the
ability to communicate to a broad constituency with varied technical
abilities is a must. This position requires an even-tempered, service
oriented personality.

Skills/Requirements.

Bachelors degree is required, Masters preferred. Experience will be
accepted in the absence of a Masters but a Bachelors is required and
cannot be waived regardless of qualification.

MUST HAVE.
Strong Linux with some UNIX, preferably Solaris. The Comp. Sci. dept.
infrastructure will be migrated from Solaris to Linux. There are not a
high number of servers but there is a high degree of customization. We
have a rather interesting implementation of Rational Rose and MS
terminal server that will also be supported so some familiarity with
windows server configuration would be nice but it's not a must.

PREFERRED.
Experience in a production environment with VMware. The college is
moving to virtualize most of it's ongoing systems so production
experience with virtualization is preferred. While VMware is the
current focus as a college of technology we'll also be exploring other
virtualization technologies.

Experience with mass storage, preferably Network Applicance. We are
deploying NAS based on a NetApp 3020. This position will be heavily
involved in this deployment.

Experience with IBM blade technology would be nice. We are
consolidating servers using  a virtualization on blade approach.

The college is growing rapidly and has reached an inflection point
that has catalyzed many of projects demanding the skills required in
this position. We operate a Red Hat Academy and a Cisco Academy which
the person in this position will have access to, in addition to
supporting. This position will also have a great deal of input on how
we build out our infrastructure. I'm not just looking for a command
line commando but someone who can interact and share ideas. Of course
there is a lot going on so they have to be bottom line oriented as
well but all-in-all this position will be a great opportunity for the
right person.

Anyone interested is welcome to call me or email me.

Joel Sweatte
Director Information Technology
East Carolina University
College of Technology and Computer Science
Science and Technology Bldg. Suite 100
Greenville, NC 27858-4353
252-328-9439
sweattej at ecu.edu