[TriLUG] OT: Home router head banging

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 09:03:21 EDT 2007

I've got an old Tachyon cable modem and a relatively old Belkin
F5D7230-4 router with stock firmware connected at home.  A week ago
(about), the Belkin started freezing up a couple of times a day,
wouldn't respond to pings, wouldn't route, etc.  A simple reboot of
the router would clear it up for a time, but every morning and a
couple of times during the day, we'd have to do it again.

Thinking it was the router, I went out and bought a new WRT54GL,
plugging it all up last night (still running stock firmware).  This
morning it did it again!  I had my wife reboot just the cable modem,
but that didn't bring the router back.

Any tips on debugging this problem?  I'm going to try to get a new
cable modem out of TWC, but the fact that the router stops responding
to ping gives me pause.  Feels like a kernel panic.

--
Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com