[TriLUG] OT: Hijacked Browser Typos

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 17:06:55 EDT 2007

Thanks William.

David, what tweaks do you think he would need to do?
>From the description of his environment:

"I use four machines at home and a notebook when I travel, so setting up
a local caching DNS would be a lot of solution for a little problem."

This is almost the exact same setup I have at home.
I am not currently using my own caching name server
but have in the past.  The steps to set it up are as follows:

1. Install the caching nameserver package on a machine.
2. Start the caching nameserver.
3. Go into your router config and specify the IP of that machine as
the first name server.

Note this all assumes the use of DHCP to get addresses (which,
I believe, is a fair assumption).  But, even with stretching it
far enough to get a second item out of "starting" the name server,
it is *not* a lot of work.  It's extremely simple to do.  And, if
you use a linux based router (i.e. WRT54GL with OpenWRT)
you can install the caching nameserver directly on the router
itself.

I fail to understand how people can think of something so simple
as being overly complicated.  Please indicate what "tweaks" you
are referring to.

Cheers,
Tanner