[TriLUG] debian (actually ubuntu) and apt-get

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Apr 18 17:09:26 EDT 2007

> now, does this mean that the below set of commands would be good to
> run regularly?

I run "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" every once in a while.
If I think it's been a long time, or if there have been a lot of updates
recently, I wait and do this when I have some brain cells to spare.
Some upgrades will ask you a lot of questions.  Most will just do the
right thing.  It all depends on how much you've changed the stock config
files.

You can tune how much or how little you are bugged during
installs/upgrades.  There is a package called "debconf" which handles
asking all of the questions.  Just do this:

dpkg-reconfigure debconf

It'll ask you which levels of questions you want (low, medium, high,
critical) and how you want to be asked (dialog, readline, gnome, kde,
editor, noninteractive).

Alan

.