[TriLUG] Suggestions for mail hosting.

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Apr 19 02:57:32 EDT 2007

J.C. Jones wrote:
> Dave and Brian,
>
> I spoke with an earthlink business rep just a few minutes ago. He said
> that earthlink service was open ports, except for 25 which is blocked.
> He said that MOST providers are blocking 25.

The odd part about Earthlink is that port 25 inbound isn't blocked on
their cable service, which is resold from Time Warner in the Triangle
area.  I run my servers in my parents' house in Apex (nice way to get
free electricity!), and have no problems with inbound email.   So their
policies must be dictated by the network they're reselling from, rather
than Earthlink's internal controls.  Otherwise I wouldn't see why they'd
have disparate policies, as last I checked, spammers don't care if you
have DSL or cable!   (As has been discussed here in the past, Time
Warner's policies aren't uniform either - some areas like Greenville
have had stricter policies.)

I'm not sure if port 25 outbound is blocked from Earthlink over TWC, but
even if it wasn't, I wouldn't use it, because the IP range is marked
dynamic in the various DNSBLs and will cause flags in people's spam
filters.  So all my outgoing mail is smarthosted through Earthlink's
servers.

--Jeremy