[TriLUG] Distribution Survey

jonc at nc.rr.com jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Apr 20 09:20:28 EDT 2007

Well, I rev my home box rarely - since I don't really need much new
there, and the possiblity of a vulnerability being used against those
machines is extremely rare. So I'm still running RH9 on the old home box
- but with updated apps like Open Office, FireFox, and BZflag - but an
older version of Evolution (that is rock solid).

At work I keep up-to-date to avoid any vulnerabilities and because most
of the personal data is run off hosted apps (or stored on my boxes at
home) - so upgrading is no pain at all.

I run Mandrake on some servers because I learned MSec a long while back,
and I really, really like it, and trust it. OpenBSD for similar reasons:
Security.

I run CentOS because most of the fun goodness for Business VoIP is being
done on that plateform so when I use someone elses hacks they generally
work just fine. I also run CentOS on my laptop because on my off-hours I
contribute back some of the fun goodness with my own hacks.

As an old command line jockey, I have no problems with any distro - as
long as I can find the icon that opens up the gterm session :-)

Jon