[TriLUG] Follow-up: why do you run multiple distros?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Apr 20 13:28:38 EDT 2007

On Friday 20 April 2007 09:40, Tim Jowers wrote:
>   I think all of the major distros are very, very good these days. Don't
> think you can go wrong with any of them.

I disagree. I think a given person could go wrong choosing the wrong distro.

Of course, looking at it broadly, they're all Linux and share a common kernel
and utilities. But each is optimized for specific purposes -- a specific
audience. Picking the right distro means greater producitvity and easier
installation. It means more time, and time is money.

I use Mandriva 2007 because it comes bundled with most everything I need. LyX,
dia, Kmail, gnumeric, Vim, and all the little libraries needed to compile
other stuff on the box. It's a desktop power user's dream.

If I ever hosted Troubleshooters.Com out of my living room, would I load that
server with Mandriva 2007? Brawwww hahahahahahaha! Heck no! Mandriva's more
stable than Windows, but I wouldn't trust it to run a 5000 visit per day
site. I'd use Debian or Gentoo or BSD or something.

I'd never use Kubuntu because I HATE KDE (please don't look at the User-Agent
in my headers :-). A lot of my friends LOVE KDE. Kubuntu would be ideal for
them.

It's true that given enough time and work, a person could convert a distro to
any other distro. Therefore one can save a lot time and work by picking the
optimal distro.

Anyone reading my essay who is considering using Linux -- don't hesitate to
try Linux because you might get the "wrong" distro. Even the wrongest distro
is better than the best Microsoft has to offer. Personally, if I were
advising someone just getting into Linux, I'd advise them to start with
Knoppix -- it always works, has a lot of good software, and teaches you the
tricks of the Debian type distros.

I'd also advise the person coming to Linux to try several distros before
picking one to be their daily driver. Before picking Mandriva's predecessor
Mandrake in the summer of 2000, I tried:

* Red Hat
* Caldera
* Debian
* Corel

None of the preceding, as they existed in 1999 and early 2000, seemed good for
running my business. Mandrake wasn't perfect, but I felt that with some work
I could convert my business to it, which I did in March 2001.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware
http://www.troubleshooters.com/