[TriLUG] OT: Hijacked Browser Typos

Rob Lockhart rlockhar at trilug.org
Sat Apr 21 17:23:27 EDT 2007

On 4/19/2007 7:42 PM EST, Matt Frye wrote:
> On 4/18/07, Scott Chilcote <scottchilcote at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> I recently switched to earthlink cable broadband...
>> I used to be able to go up to the URL field on the browser and fix the
>> typo.  Now it gets replaced with
>> "http://earthlink-help.com/?AddInType=Bdns&Version=1.1.4el&FailureMode=1&ParticipantID=xj6e3468k634hy3945zg3zkhfn7zfgf6&ClientLocation=us&FailedURI=http%3A%2F%2Fgoogle.cokm%2F"
>>

> Scott,
> I found the easiest way around this crap was to directly set the DNS
> in my router to earthlink's east and west coast servers, as described
> in this blog entry:
>
> http://blogs.earthlink.net/2006/09/more_info_on_dead_domain_handl.php
>
> Apparently, we're not the only ones cursing Earthlink for this policy
> change.

Thanks, Matt.  There are people at work that have complained about this,
too.  I'll happily forward this to them.  Thanks also to Tanner for the
informative caching discussion (Tanner has been great help for the whole
TriLUG community for quite a long time).

BTW, most of the WRT-type linux distributions can implement a caching
name server (in RAM) as well.  I'm running Tomato on a Buffalo WHR-G54
(similar WRT54G hardware).

  -Rob