[TriLUG] PPTP VPN issues -- wha??

mcoovadia at nc.rr.com mcoovadia at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 24 15:55:09 EDT 2007

I was wondering if anyone had any issues running a PPTP VPN server at
their site, and the linksys (BEFSR11) not allowing incoming GRE traffic.
 I was successfully running a vpn server at home, when verizon decided
that my DSL had to go from Frame Relay to ATM.  At the same time, my
Linksys BEFSR11 (about 5 years old) died on me.

After purchasing a new router (newer firmware), i could no longer
initiate a vpn connection to my site.  I can however, initiate pptp vpn
connections outbound (to work and such).  Yes, I do forward the
appropriate ports (1723) and although there is no setting to forward
GRE, pptp passthru is enabled (which I guess allows the outbound pptp to
be created).

tested using MS w2k3 server pptp vpn server.  Logs show that no GRE
packets are received inbound.  decided to bypass the server, flashed
openwrt on the router, made it the pptp server, and still no luck.  log
files show that no GRE inbound.

All this leads me to believe that it is a verizon issue, since it worked
fine before Frame to ATM switch.  (2 changes at same time, dsl line
change and dead router = troubleshooting sucks).  However, they swear
that they dont block anything, and try to keep telling me that vpn is
IMPOSSIBLE without their static IP package, which is $40 more.  "Dyndns
works fine for me, thx!  VPN does work without static, thx".  I can
never speak to anyone with any tech knowledge, I just get read the
manual..."have you tried rebooting..."

My next step is to run tcpdump on my openwrt linksys and see if I see
any GRE traffic inbound.  Modem from verizon is in bridged mode...so
that should not be a problem...I think.

Does anybody have any advice?  See anything that I missed?  Does verizon
block any GRE (remember, I have outbound vpn sessions, just not
inbound)!!  Does the newer firmaware versions of linksys not support it?
 Does openwrt not support it?

I am so lost right now....HELP!!

Mohammed Coovadia