[TriLUG] Download corruption

Brian Daniels bitmage at pobox.com
Fri Apr 27 22:22:39 EDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 10:17:56PM -0400, Glenn Starling wrote:
> Before doing an upgrade from the AMD-64 version of Ubuntu 6.10 I decided
> to download and burn a CD to use if I needed to reinstall should the
> upgrade not work correctly.  I downloaded the file to the Downloads
> directory off my home directory, and ran the md5sum program to check for
> file corruption errors.  There was corruption, so I re-downloaded and
> repeated the above.  Different numbers, but still no match to the
> published MD5SUM results.  Note the md5sum command gave different
> results the first and second time I ran it on the same .iso file which
> had been downloaded.  After running md5sum a couple of times, the number
> stabilizes.  See the results below.  Any ideas?

If you're getting different results from consecutive runs of MD5sum on the same
file, then you've got memory or HD errors.  The file should not be changing
(you're sure it's not still downloading?), and MD5sum should give the same
results every time.

--Brian

--
Be it thy course to busy giddy minds
With foreign quarrels; that action, hence borne out,

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at pobox.com
      http://www.eviloverlord.net