[TriLUG] Linux Server Recommendations

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Sat Apr 28 16:12:59 EDT 2007

douglass_davis at earthlink.net wrote:
> I teach at St. Augustine's College, and we have windows in all of the
> labs, however, I would like to get at least one Linux server that
> students could use, with (a secure version of) VNC to log in to.
> There would be at most around 10 users logged in at once.
>
> What would be your recommendation of a computer to get for this
> purpose?  What are some must haves?

I've literally picked old windows servers out of the trash and recycled
them as Linux servers.  One in particular comes to mind where I had
dozens of interactive users with X11 terminals logging in.

The processors don't need to necessarily be fast.  It seems to help more
to have multiple processors rather than one fast one.

It's also very useful to have lots of RAM.

Do you have a budget for this project?

--
"Showing off is the fool's idea of glory." - Bruce Lee's observations of
people at TriLUG meetings who won't shut up and let the guest speaker talk