[TriLUG] Download corruption

Craig Taylor ctalkobt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 01:11:11 EDT 2007

> Bryan Daniels wrote:
>
> > If you're getting different results from consecutive runs of MD5sum on
> > the same file, then you've got memory or HD errors.  The file should
> > not be changing (you're sure it's not still downloading?), and MD5sum
> > should give the same results every time.
>
> I ran overnight the mem check program on an old Ubuntu CD, and it found
> no errors.  There has never been any "flaky" behavior on the file system
> that I'm aware of on this machine.  (It is Reiser.)  Are there any tests
> you would recommend?
>
> I had also wondered if the router might be corrupting some bits?  Is it
> worth a test to bypass my router?  (This is my home system, so there are
> not any mission critical 24/7 apps running.)
>
> Thanks for your thoughts!
>
> -- Glenn

Suggestion: Try running the 'sync' command before you md5sum the file; also
just for kicks do a 'cksum' on it too to make sure it's not a bad md5sum
executable.

>From your description it doesn't sound like your router as you've stated the
file is fully downloaded to the system - it should not cause the file to
change after it's been downloaded.  Also, I'd run fsck -f on the system just
to check it out - there may have been issues in other parts that just
haven't caused any apparent issues yet.

- Craig Taylor