[TriLUG] Upgrading to Fiesty

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 30 14:23:35 EDT 2007

Hi Folks,

I have two machines to upgrade from Dapper to Feisty, one notebook and
one desktop.

 From the installation advice I can find online, it looks like the best
approach would be to do a selective backup of stuff to keep, wipe the /
partitions, to a clean install on both machines, and
restore/configure/etc. until I get things back to what I want.  I've
done this a lot but it's always a PITA.  I'm good at forgetting a
handful of critical items and config details.

The more attractive route would be to do an upgrade to edgy and another
upgrade to feisty, but what I've found online suggests this has
problems.  I've had my share of problematic upgrades, but if the chance
of it working is essentially zero I'll bite the bullet and do a clean
install.

Two questions:

1. What do those who have been through it recommend?  [I'll be happy if
there's a better approach I've overlooked]

2. Is the desktop ISO sufficient to upgrade desktop & notebook systems,
or should I grab the custom install ISO too?

Many thanks,

Scott C.