[TriLUG] Upgrading to Fiesty

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Mon Apr 30 14:57:01 EDT 2007

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 02:23:35PM -0400, Scott Chilcote wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have two machines to upgrade from Dapper to Feisty, one notebook and
> one desktop.
>
> The more attractive route would be to do an upgrade to edgy and another
> upgrade to feisty, but what I've found online suggests this has
> problems.  I've had my share of problematic upgrades, but if the chance
> of it working is essentially zero I'll bite the bullet and do a clean
> install.

Scott,

I have just gone ( am just going ) through this process myself.  I found
that my Feisty install CD was just a coaster, so I installed from the
good Dapper disk that I had, confirmed that it worked, and continued.  I
am working on a clean machine, so my results may be suspect.  For some
reason, the 6.06 Upgrade Manager did not offer Edgy as an upgrade
option, so I went with the "Manual" upgrade process offered on the
website.

I changed all of the references from "dapper" to "edgy" in the
sources.list file and did "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade".
Actually, I did them as seperate commands and repeated the dist-upgrade
just to check, but I seemed to wind up with a working Edgy system.

Upgrade Manager then offered me Feisty as an "Automatic" upgrade, so I
went with it.  When I last looked at that system, it was nearing the end
of the unpacking/upgrading phase, with no apparent errors, so I am
expecting the best.

I will let you know more as soon as I know, but that may not be until
tomorrow.

Brian