[TriLUG] New system configuration thoughts

Jim Tuttle jtuttle at prairienet.org
Tue May 1 12:18:10 EDT 2007

So, I've got a new system on the way and had a couple of questions
someone here might have answers to.

First, I wonder if memory throughput is increased by using more, smaller
modules.  So, would using 4 x 512MB be faster than 2 x 1GB?  Perhaps the
difference would be so small as not to matter.  The difference in price
is also quite small so there would be no reason not to pick the faster
configuration.

Second, I wonder about hard drive configuration.  It's always been my
policy to have 2 matched drives, say sda and sdb, and to back up each to
the opposite drive.  So, say I install linux on sda1 and Windows on
sdb1.  Then I would back up sda1 to sdb2 and backup sdb1 to sda2.  This
makes sense, right?  Then, any single disk failure doesn't result in
data loss.  Any holes in this method?  I've been thinking about raid
mirroring, but it seems like overkill.  Of course, every once in awhile
I back up to a firewire drive and take it to work.

Third, and lastly, is anyone using 64-bit Ubuntu 7.04?  I don't mean to
rehash the 32-bit/64-bit debate, but is it worth any trouble to use
64-bit in a system with 2GB of RAM?

Thanks a lot,
Jim

---Jim Tuttle