[TriLUG] Feisty was a b*tch of an upgrade

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at buni.org
Wed May 2 10:10:14 EDT 2007

I started out on 6.06, upgraded to Edgy and now to Feisty.  Edgy was a
pretty painless upgrade with only the swap issue being kinda irritating
and requiring effort/thought/google.

Feisty disabled X windows for starters...  For some reason I couldn't
get either the free or proprietary ATI drivers to install after this
(this may be partly me as for some reason I occasionally block on
something even if I've done it 100 times)...   I ended up having to copy
my stuff off to another drive and do a re-install from scratch, then the
video STILL didn't work until I manually installed the proprietary
drivers and used an old X configuration (I'd tried that before the clean
install too).

All in all FUN to do right before a conference.  I never did get my or
any other projector working again!  So I did LinuxFest on OS X....Ian
would be proud.

-Andy