[TriLUG] This date in history...

Cristóbal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Wed May 2 10:44:11 EDT 2007

You forget that Dell has the wherewithal to pay for licenses that make
some (eg. DVD playback) features legal, and they certainly will do
that.

Furthermore, Dell is _already_ footing that bill when they sell XP and
Vista machines. For Dell this isn't just about giving the consumer
what (s)he wants; this is about seeing how feasible it is to move away
from Microsoft.

Cheers,
CMP

On 5/2/07, Ian Meyer <ianmeyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's food for thought:
>
> Part of what makes Ubuntu attractive is what it includes. The problem
> is this also meant is includes software that violates the DMCA,
> patent law, that infringes on multiple, enforced patents, and through
> its inclusion of binary-only kernel drivers, violates the GPL.
>
> Does Dell really want to open themselves up to this kind of legal
> vulnerability?
>
> Methinks someone at Dell just hasn't realized all this yet.
>
> ~ian
>
> ps: I stole my information from spot, whom I trust, so plz2not flame
> me asking for references for the allegations.
>
> On May 1, 2007, at 4:29 PM, Kevin Jones wrote:
>
> > Dell introduces Ubuntu 7.04 on desktops and laptops:
> > http://news.com.com/Dell+picks+Ubuntu+for+Linux+PCs/
> > 2100-7344_3-6180419.html?tag=cd.lede
> >
> > FreeBSD 6.2 is released to the public:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/where.html