[TriLUG] This date in history...

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Wed May 2 10:49:58 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2 May 2007, [UTF-8] Cristóbal Palmer wrote:

> You forget that Dell has the wherewithal to pay for licenses that make
some (eg. DVD playback) features legal, and they certainly will do
that.

Yes, but isn't that included in the licensing for Windows?  E.g., it
doesn't apply to Linux?  Or is it licensed in the hardware that they
resell?

> Furthermore, Dell is _already_ footing that bill when they sell XP and
Vista machines. For Dell this isn't just about giving the consumer
what (s)he wants; this is about seeing how feasible it is to move away
from Microsoft.

I can certainly see this, particularly given what a lot of people are
saying about Vista (one pithy quote I read recently said that Vista was
Microsoft's final success in getting people to like Windows ME).  Maybe
this is Dell's attempt at an answer to OSX and Apple.

William