[TriLUG] How would you diagnose "random" system hangs?

jbrigman at nc.rr.com jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Mon May 7 12:20:06 EDT 2007

Andrew - do you have any removable-media CD or DVD devices
installed?

I once saw a case where a particular CD-RW device won't play
well with a DVD device. It jumps off-and-on the IDE bus and
when that happens, the system locks up with NO notification
whatsoever.

This would be applicable only if you have a DVD and CD device
on the same IDE channel, one primary, the other secondary.

The "fix" was to remove the CD-RW device and/or replace both
with a new model DVD-RW.

The only way I was able to identify the problem was that the
device "disappeared before my eyes" while I was watching, and
after putting a CD in the media tray. The only way I was able
to isolate it was to reassemble the system a piece at a time
out of the case, on the work

JKB