[TriLUG] ubuntu - D Drake ==>> Feisty Faun

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Mon May 7 14:33:28 EDT 2007

Michael Rulison wrote:
> I have downloaded and put .iso file on CD for FF.
> I have DD installed (dual boot with Win XP) on a laptop.
>
> I have run update on DD on laptop; it says nothing is needed.
>
> What is the proper way to install/upgrade to FF (7.04) on the laptop? Do
> I just see if laptop will book from FF iso disk?
>
> ( I don't have many files of my own in the Linux partition but could
> remove them to safety if that is needed.

Hello Michael,

I asked about this in another recent thread.  There was an Ubuntu
release between Dapper and Feisty called Edgy Eft.  So in theory it
should be possible to upgrade from Dapper to Edgy, then from Edgy to
Feisty.  I've heard from two people who tried this; one was successful,
the other not.

Instructions for that approach are here:

http://www.debianadmin.com/upgrade-ubuntu-dapper-to-ubuntu-edgy-eft.html
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/upgrade-ubuntu-edgy-to-feisty/

There are other sources for this information if you google around.

I decided to take a different route, and used a USB hard disk to back up
my personal stuff on the laptop.  Don't forget /var/mail and /etc if you
do this, to restore any inboxes and custom configuration parameters.

Then I did a clean install of feisty, updated it online, copied my stuff
back from the USB drive and, well, there it was.  It went off without
any hitches, which is more than I can say about the last two distro
updates I attempted.

Feisty supports my laptop's sound chip directly, that's a great
improvement.  Thanks to the people who answered my email earlier.

Best of luck,

Scott C.