[TriLUG] Free Linux PC (FLPC)

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Mon May 7 20:21:54 EDT 2007

   The Open CD. Thank you Canonical and the Open CD team. A very good
selection of FOSS for dozers. setup.exe craps out though (insert conspiracy
theory here:-).
   I've not seen any good promo-oriented CD's about GNU/Linux/FOSS. You may
want to look into portableapps.com too WRT dozers. Other than that you could
just give out Knoppix, Edubuntu, and such. I think these become more talking
points than anything else.

   Most everyone I talked to does not realize how big FOSS is. They think it
is some side thing. When you tell them FOSS delivers 10x the email of MSMail
plus Exchange, 60-70% of all websites run on FOSS, Google AdWords runs on
MySQL, etc then they start to realize old softie and oracle have pulled the
wool over their eyes. But kids probably are not going to care about that.
Maybe just tell them Java is going Open and you can get a better job than
your daddy if you learn to code.

   Another option is to buy "The Code", "2057", as well as play the "What is
Ubuntu" from the Ubuntu install. Finally, there are a few good screencasts
about Linux on the web and those might make good DVD/CD content. If you're
talking about school students then maybe run an Impress show with the games
and the educational stuff.

   The latest screen capture stuff with FC6 actually works. I haven't played
with it on Ubuntu but from what I can see the two distro.s are very close.
FF barfs on Ubunutu and also on my hacked FC6/CentOS box. Doesn't crash on
my clean FC6 but of course that's my workstation and runs about 10 times
faster than my laptop which has Ubuntu. When I had FC6 on the laptop X hung
about once a day. Probably the ATI driver I guess. Not a slam on Linux
because for a year straight while I worked at Toyota IE would crash once or
several times a day. After about the 100th "report information to Microsoft"
I realized they do not track their bugs and do not fix them. Guess I must
have really drunk the koolaid to have submitted the same bug so many times.

Best,
TimJowers