[TriLUG] OT- HELP? Solaris 10 H/Wboxen? ... html

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Tue May 8 11:22:20 EDT 2007

out of curiosity, how is $845 less than a Mac mini?

WMM

On 5/8/07, Robert Dale <robdale at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sun Hardware Compatability List
> http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/sol/
>
> Xen on Open Solaris
> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/xen/
>
> From your requirements, I'd go with Sun's 60-day free trial on a Sun
> Ultra 20 M2.
> What could be easier and more reliable than solaris pre-installed on
> sun hardware?
> The price is better than a mac-mini too.
> http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstation/ultra20/
>
> --
> Robert Dale
>
> On 5/8/07, Marty Ferguson <martyferg at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> >  Hello, Y'all....Hardware question from yet another cheap-ass't(sic)
> >  guy YACA...
> >
> >  Can anyone suggest an inexpensive (but) guaranteed-solid iron
> >  bare boxen or basic m/b which I can throw Solaris 10 onto?
> >
> >  I'm not totally tight on this. $  Preferabaly an Intel Core-Duo
> >  CPU, but straight-forward installation is a
> >   frontrunning consideration.
> >
> >  In the future, I  would like for it to be a
> >  Xen  based platform, and ultimatlely use it
> >  as a multi-OS 'nix based host for multi-guests,
> >  including osX, bsd, linux and (whatever version of 'doze)
> >  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xen
> >
> >  Long-run, Solaris 10 first will continue to be my primary
> >  concern  (non-negotiable), but, honestly, I really don't
> >  care which host-OS the VM is running,  As long as
> >  Solaris 10 is running as a guest.  Or obviously, vice-versa.
> >  A tricked out box with a Solaris host & virtualization software
> >  and multiple guests is also cool.
> >
> >  If any effort is not now ongoing, I will host/lead the effort.
> >
> >  Presently I'm considering using an x'86 a mac mini-type  platform.
> >  Either from Apple or AOPEN hardware  I've pulled  together enough
> >  information to get this going on a 1.66. ghz $599 mini.
> >  So I'm only looking for people to contribute to this who have
> >  invested some hands-on time.  Please don't just make up
> >  goofy ideas, like using a celstial-powered abacus instead.  I know
> >  what I' working toward, and I have focus.  Non-sequiters will
> >  not be  honored.
> >
> >  (Primarily, I'm looking for) Ease of installation, not multimedia, is
> >  my primary goals. Secondary (Secondarily) is reliability. I'll go buy a
> >  box from Sun if I don't get any solid testimoniy in this category.
> >
> >  I'll still post what I discover back to this list.
> >
> >  If you are jazzed about this concept like me, then respond,
> >  and we can run with this.
> >
> >  Any aternative suggestions or ideas, Y'all?
> >
> >  Thanks
> >  Martyy
> >
> >  P.S  Y'all.
> >    (1)  It's collective-plural and also gender-neutral
> >  !!! que hillbilly cool !!!
> >
> >  PSS this means "lady-geeks"  also. Please contribute.
> >  You, too, Lisa.
> >

> > --

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdős
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2