[TriLUG] NC*SA Meeting next Monday (05/14): Site Reliability At Google by Tom Limoncelli

Liyun Yu yu at radonc.unc.edu
Tue May 8 14:36:34 EDT 2007

The next meeting of the North Carolina System Administrators (NC*SA)
will be co-hosted by NC*SA and TriLUG.

*/Please notice the location is changed for this meeting only!/*

*Topic*: Site Reliability at Google
*Speaker*: Tom Limoncelli, Google, Inc. <http://www.google.com/>
Time: Monday, May14, 2007, 7:00-8:30pm
Place: UNC GEC Auditorium Chapel Hill, NC
Book Signing by Tom Limoncelli: 5:50pm, GEC
Dinner: 6:20pm (Free Pizza and Chinese Food)
Directions: see the end of this message.

Abstract:

Learn what it's like to be on the team that runs www.google.com's
services, and explore
some of the technologies that enable Google's web services to maintain
their high uptime.
Google's /service oriented network/ (SON) enables the creation of new
products that
are scalable and maintainable. Tom will give a sysadmin's view of Google
technologies
such as GFS, MapReduce, Sawmill, and more. He will also describe how to
make a
policy that is "Googley."

Biography:
*Tom is the author of /O'Reilly's/ Time Management for System
Administrators <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/timemgmt/>, co-author
of The Practice of System and Network Administration
<http://www.awprofessional.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=0201702711&rl=1>
from /Addison-Wesley/, and editor
of The April Fools' RFCs <http://www.rfc-humor.com/> - just recently
published. He joined Google in January 2006.
A sysadmin and network wonk since 1987, he has worked at Cibernet, Dean
for America,
Lumeta, Bell Labs/Lucent, Mentor Graphics, and Drew University. He is a
frequent
presenter at LISA conferences and joint recipient of USENIX and SAGE's 2005
Outstanding Achievement Award. His web site is
www.EverythingSysadmin.com <http://www.EverythingSysadmin.com>.
*

*
Sponsors:
EqualLogic - http://www.equallogic.com/
NetApp - http://www.netapp.com
MCNC - http://www.mcnc.org
TriLUG - http://www.trilug.org*

FedEx Global Education Center
Directions and Parking Information

 From Greensboro:
On I-40 East, take the Chapel Hill 86 South exit 266 (Airport
Road/Columbia Street) 4 1/2 miles into
Chapel Hill. Turn right on Cameron Avenue, then left on Pittsboro
Street, and the Global Education
Center is on the left at the corner of Pittsboro and McCauley Streets.
To use the parking deck, take
a left on McCauley Street and then a right on Pharmacy Lane.  The
parking garage is on your right.

 From Raleigh and RDU Airport:
On I-40 West, take the Chapel Hill 273A exit. Follow Raleigh Road/South
Road up through campus.
The road turns into McCauley Street and the Global Education Center is
on the left at the corner of
Pittsboro and McCauley Streets.  To use the parking deck, take a left on
Pharmacy Lane.
The parking garage is on your right.

 From Durham:
On I-85, exit right at the 15-501 South (Chapel Hill) exit. At the edge
of Chapel Hill, veer right onto
Franklin Street. In the downtown area, turn left on Columbia Street (86
South), then right on
Cameron Avenue, and left on Pittsboro Street. The Global Education
Center is on the left at
the corner of Pittsboro and McCauley Streets.  To use the parking deck,
take a left on McCauley
Street and then a right on Pharmacy Lane.  The parking garage is on your
right.

_The elevator in the parking garage will take you directly inside the
building.  Please go to the first floor._

Our meetings are free and open to anyone with an interest in the topic
of the evening and/or system administration.  We will be providing food
and drink for the evening. If you have any questions please contact the
Steering Committee at:

ncsa-steer at ncsysadmin.org