[TriLUG] ATI projector hell

tomed at bellsouth.net tomed at bellsouth.net
Thu May 10 07:09:50 EDT 2007

It looks like you're using a driver module from ATI. Do you absolutely
have to have the ATI driver? Will a generic X driver work as well?
X might have their own version of the ATI driver that's missing
some features that you don't actually need.

Possible issues: you need accelerated graphics for games, googlearth, etc,
therefore you need the ATI driver.

If you don't use these things, then a more generic driver might save
lots of frustration during upgrades.

You could be looking at a kernel or glibc incompatability.

Long shot: See if there's a Feisty source deb for the proprietary ATI
driver and compiling it. That might resolve kernel issues. With my
Gentoo system, I have to recompile the nvidia proprietary driver
every time I upgrade the kernel - I suppose the driver package is
a combination of a binary from Nvidia and code that has to be
compiled against the running kernel.

Also, of course, check Debian and Ubuntu bug reports on ATI.

Tom Ed