[TriLUG] TriLUG IMAP Server problems (was Re: missing email)

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri May 11 00:23:13 EDT 2007

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Rob Lockhart wrote:

> My point in using Webmail is that it isolates Thunderbird from
> server-side issues, or so I thought. O:-)

As you've noted, not really.  The webmail software is independent of the
mail system and is an IMAP client just like Thunderbird.  It does happen
to run on the same piece of hardware but that's just a coincidence,
really.  Squirrelmail can be used (depending on configuration) to connect
to any IMAP server; for example you could set up your own instance on a
personal server to connect to any number of different IMAP accounts, just
like a "thick-client" such as Thunderbird can do.

It should be noted that the list of folders you're subscribed to, is just
a text file that's kept in the IMAP store, at the location
{INBOX}/.subscriptions .  Apparrently these files were lost during the
move to the new server, but I'm not quite sure why.  (Note - just because
the file appears as a text file to the IMAP client doesn't mean that the
Cyrus IMAP server actually stores them as a unique file on disk.)

--Jeremy