[TriLUG] JOB? - create customized distro

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Fri May 11 17:56:43 EDT 2007

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 04:00:10PM -0400, Christopher L Merrill wrote:
> Thanks!  That's good info.  Do you know if the rPath solution is
> dependent on the software that we want to run being available as a linux
> package?  We use an executable installer for our software, so it's not
> "packaged" in the linux sense.

The usefulness of rPath's rBuilder is dependent on the environment that
you are working in.  If an installable ISO image is suitable, it is
ideal.  If you need a Xen DomU image, or VMWare or QEMU images, all is
good.

If the software that you want to include in your image is not "known" to
the rBuilder system, you will need to do a little more work ( or find
one of us who has some experience ) in adding your package to rBuilder
before you create your ISO, if you want your package to be part of the
ISO image.  If you don't mind adding it after the initial installation
is complete, no worries!

Brian