[TriLUG] Triangle Open Source Lab meeting 5/24 from 7 PM until 9 PM - RSVP

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Wed May 16 09:54:19 EDT 2007

I have no idea but did research OpenSource at large intensively for 8 months
ending in March. Several themes and problems could be addressed by an
OpenSource lab.

1) Certification for business use. Establish some level of testing and
rating system. E.g MS Sharepoint has an outright basic flaw of not properly
handling web browser caching so cannot be rated as mature. Likewise,
probably EGroupware. OTOH, Quickbooks and GNUCash are mature. Maybe a 5 or
10 level rating of maturity and quality. This would be immensely useful as
with OpenSource there is not really 1 single company to feed you. We know
Gates did a national campaign promoting Sharepoint so one single company
does not guarantee maturity but maybe a rating organization could do a
better job.

2) Define and drive common efforts across FOSS projects. E.g. so many
projects do not support LDAP. Another example: many eCommerce apps could be
made to interchange with a common schema (and I mean in the data sense of
the word schema and not the hijacked XML jargon). Example 3: Planner,
dotproject, and other PM/task softwares could integrate. The Lab could write
the common integration layer or drive the effort.

3) Performance tests.

4) So much more that I think the general name "Open Source Labs" is very
powerful.

   FOSS does expand past Linux but does it really? The "Killer App" of Linux
in the Desktop may very well be the vastness of the software. A Fully Loaded
Linux is superior to anything Apple or Microsoft is willing to offer and can
save the person hours, days, and weeks of install and configuration BS.

My $.02,
TimJowers