[TriLUG] [OT] TriLUGger on the news

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Fri May 18 16:00:53 EDT 2007

Tom Eisenmenger wrote:
> I live in Roanoke Rapids which is in one of the poorest, least
> economically-developed areas of the state.
[snip]
 > They are perpetually on the back burner because projects in
> the state's metropolitan areas, especially the Triangle, routinely
> take precedence over projects in more rural areas.  No wonder - the
> seat of power is, after all, in Raleigh.

Halifax County:
The median income for a household in the county was $26,459, and the
median income for a family was $33,515.  Population around 60,000
(rounding up from 2000 estimate).  Per capita income in 2000 was $13,810.

Wake County:
Estimated population in 2006 was 786,522 with about 100 people moving to
the city of Raleigh alone every day (not counting other popular
residential destinations in the county).  Per capita income in 2000 was
$27,004.

It's not unfair for the roads to go where the money is coming from and
where the most people and jobs are moving to.  Yes, your county has a
bootstrap problem.  Until people start moving there in droves, the money
won't come.  And the people won't start moving there in droves until the
money comes.

But I'll bet you a nickel that as soon as "progress" comes to your
county, and everything that goes along with it, the locals will complain
about that.