[TriLUG] [OT] TriLUGger on the news

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Mon May 21 08:40:41 EDT 2007

Glenn Hennessee wrote:
>  If we spent on mass transit at the same
> level that we do on roads and airports we would have a mass transit
> system that would be better than any other in the world.

The geology of North Carolina probably precludes it from having a mass
transit system on par with the major cities of the world REGARDLESS of
how much is spent.  Ever notice almost none of the homes around here
have basements?  It's one of the first things us relocated yankees tend
to notice when shopping for a house in the Triangle.

Having a world class mass transit system depends on having a subway
running through the city itself.  Our cities don't have very dense urban
centers.  We get a few buildings taller than four stories clumped
together but the rest is just sprawl.

Early city planners completely failed.  The City Council in Durham
actually made things worse, not better, throughout the 3 decades
following WW2 as they tore down historic buildings and went from dense
pedestrian-friendly urban streetscapes to having open plazas and parking
lots all over.  They also eliminated their streetcar system many years ago.

As bad as our sprawl is, light rail was probably our best hope for a
mass transit backbone.  We will see Duke Nukem Forever before we see
regional rail here.