[TriLUG] emacs question

Brian Templeton bpt at tunes.org
Wed May 30 09:14:45 EDT 2007

"Andrew Ball" <anball at gmail.com> writes:

> Does anyone know how I can get emacs to not insert extra spaces before
> opening curly braces that start on the line after the if, for, etc.
> statement that
> they go with?
>
> That is, I get
>
>         if (foo)
>             {
>                 /* do something */
>             }
>
> when I really want
>
>         if (foo)
>         {
>             /* do something */
>         }
>
> This is in C mode.
>
> It looks like there may be something in c-offsets-alist, to change,
> but I'm a bit lost. Any hints would be appreciated.

Hello Andrew,

You probably want to change CC Mode's C coding style to something
other than the default of "gnu". Styles are documented in (info
"(ccmode)Styles"), and the built-in styles are listed in (info
"(ccmode)Built-in Styles"). From your example, it looks like you want
to use the BSD style with a four-space indent; to do this by default
in C mode, you can add the following form to your .emacs:

(add-hook 'c-mode-hook (lambda ()
                         (c-set-style "bsd")
                         (setq c-basic-offset 4)))