[TriLUG] OT: 17" CRT monitors for donation to non-profit

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Wed May 30 15:27:11 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 03:19:06PM -0400, Magnus wrote:
> David McDowell wrote:
>
> The Durham Rescue Mission (http://www.durhamrescuemission.org/) would be
> an awesome place to send these.  They have this training room just for
> homeless women/moms to get them up to speed on office skills and make
> them marketable.  Last time I was out there they had a bunch of
> Frankenboxes put together from mixed donations, lots of 14" monitors,
> etc.  With a donation like this they could refit the whole classroom and
> have some spares handy.  Last I heard these were NOT internet-connected
> machines so it's not like you're helping some lazy hump surf the web all
> day and avoid work.

I learned of a similar recipient last week at the Raleigh CTS.  There is
apparently a "branch" of the United Way that resurrects machines for
needy children and families ( they may have a lab such as Magnus
describes too ).  I had a good chat with one of the organizers, who
told me that they exist on donations of "dead" machines and volunteer
mechanics ( this might make a good TriLUG "installfest" ), since they
aren't part of the regular United Way budget, such as it is.

If anybody is interested, I will dig up the paperwork that I collected.

Brian