[TriLUG] security goons at TigerDirect in Raleigh: "No, thanks!"

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Thu May 31 19:44:05 EDT 2007

On Thu, 31 May 2007, Magnus wrote:

> [snip]...
> patriot/libertarian/constitutionalist kind of talk show.

> I'm personally tired of my civil liberties being whittled away.  I'm
> going to start taking them back.

I hesitate to get involved here, but I must point out that I find it
amusing that libertarians are upset about private businesses' decisions as
to how to carry out security on their grounds. I have no patience with
libertarianism myself, as it seems absurdly simplistic to me. But if
that's your cup of tea, I don't see any way to reconcile it with
prohibiting Best Buy, Tiger Direct, etc., from doing security however they
feel like doing it. I would expect a libertarian's response to be "well,
don't shop there if you don't like it."

Andy

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Associate Professor of Sociology; Book Review Editor, _Social Forces_
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA
New Book: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/178592.ctl