[TriLUG] security goons at TigerDirect in Raleigh: "No, thanks!"

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu May 31 20:18:43 EDT 2007

On Thursday 31 May 2007 17:24, Magnus wrote:
> Not many stores do this anymore because it turns out they don't exactly
> have the right to coerce you to do this.  But TigerDirect is one of
> those stores that still has a security goon at the door to check
> receipts against what is in your bag to make sure you're not stealing.
>
> What most people don't know, including the people checking the bags,
> your compliance is not required.  The moment you paid for your goods,
> they became yours.  They no more have the right to inspect your bag now
> than they would to turn out your pockets.
>
> So I picked up some networking components that I needed for the house.
> I had to explicitly ask for a bag because none was provided.  When the
> cashier put my stuff in the bag, he then handed me the receipt and told
> me I would need to have Helga the Security Goon from Bulgaria check my
> receipt and bag on the way out.  I smiled and thanked him as I tossed
> the receipt back into the bag.
>
> Sure enough on the way out, Helga tries to block my path, telling me
> "Sir, I have to check your bag."
>
> I smile and politely tell her "No, thank you. Have a nice day."

As a practical matter, I'd think twice about doing that. In Texas several
Walmart security personnel held down a suspected shoplifter on the hot
blacktop in the summer sun, so that he was badly burned before suffocating
from positional asphyxiation.

Whether or not Walmart eventually has to pay for wrongful death, or whether or
not the security people are convicted of murder, it's too late for the person
attacked by a half dozen security people.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/4821881/detail.html
http://www.courttv.com/news/2005/1129/walmart_ctv.html
http://www.click2houston.com/news/5330695/detail.html
http://www.click2houston.com/news/4821881/detail.html?subid=22100412&qs=1;bp=t