[TriLUG] [WAY OT] security goons at TigerDirect in Raleigh: "No, thanks!"

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Thu May 31 20:42:44 EDT 2007

Andrew Perrin wrote:
> I hesitate to get involved here, but I must point out that I find it
> amusing that libertarians are upset about private businesses' decisions as
> to how to carry out security on their grounds. I have no patience with
> libertarianism myself, as it seems absurdly simplistic to me.
Inalienable rights and personal liberty were good enough for the
Founding Fathers, but they
strike you as "absurdly simplistic?"  Sorry, but I don't get that.
Especially when the typical
attitude from people opposed to libertarianism seems to be:

"if we pass enough laws and if everybody would just do everything the
way I say (after all, I'm smarter than the
unwashed masses) then everything would be all peaches and cream.  And a
pony for everybody."

But I digress...
> But if
> that's your cup of tea, I don't see any way to reconcile it with
> prohibiting Best Buy, Tiger Direct, etc., from doing security however they
> feel like doing it. I would expect a libertarian's response to be "well,
> don't shop there if you don't like it."

This particular libertarian does see it that way.  I do find it
offensive when stores treat
me like a criminal, and I do make it a habit to keep walking if my
purchase sets off
the little alarm at the door.  I figure if they really think I'm
stealing something, one of
them can chase me down and tackle me, then we'll deal with the fallout,
whatever
that may be.  But fundamentally, I believe that if I grow to despise
their policies enough,
I always have the option to take my business elsewhere.

TTYL,

Phil

--
http://www.linkedin.com/in/philliprhodes