[TriLUG] The TriLUG Discussion List

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Fri Jun 1 15:53:41 EDT 2007

Matt Frye wrote:
> <snip>
>
> What I'm hearing from the vast majority of respondents is that members
> don't want *any* geographic restriction placed on job postings.  I'm
> willing to accept that, and even willing to accept job postings that
> go beyond "linux related."
>
> We'll revisit the issue if and when it becomes a problem.  All I ask
> in return is that we keep complaining about OT or job req posts, or
> complaining about complaining about them, to a minimum.
>
> MPF

This is why I now only read the original job posting and delete any
replies to it, save the original poster sending the replay (it may be a
revision to the email). I would say more than 90% of the reponses to a
job posting should be *offline* back to the original poster or contact
listed in the job posting. Opinions about the job and/or job posting
normally aren't needed unless you have some inside info (i.e. "No don't
work here. They are laying everyone off in 4 weeks and closing the doors!").

Basically, use common sense people. Keep your comments to yourself. You
never know, there may be a Linux newbie that is a Windows Admin who
needs a new job and can get it because a job was posted where someone
with limited linux skills and *must have* Windows skills are needed.
(Wow, that's a lot of prepositions!)

Plus, it just makes TriLUG look bad when the archives are searched. I've
had a few folks tell me this kind of complaining is why they *won't* try
Linux nor checkout TriLUG.

Good luck. We're all counting on you...