[TriLUG] [WAY OT] security goons at TigerDirect in Raleigh: "No, thanks!"

mike shlitz mshlitz at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 18:20:14 EDT 2007

Hi,

having worked in State Law Enforcement and private
security, I've encountered the differences.  "Probable
Cause" refers to government law enforcement.

When I worked private security I was told that in no
way could I hinder the progress of an individual even
if they WERE stealing something and that if I did so,
I did it as a "citizen's arrest" not as a
representative of my employer and would face any
consequences on my own.

My duty as private security was to monitor and call
local law enforcement to effect any detaining of the
individual.

Essentially, any detaining of an individual by a
private security is a citizen's arrest made by that
individual without any more authority to stop someone
leaving that building than you have.

Mike