[TriLUG] Friday funny, semi related

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 04:18:52 EDT 2007

On 6/2/07, David McDowell <turnpike420 at gmail.com> wrote:
> awesome, way to go JC.  We do backups disc to disc then disc to tape,
> then we have a weekly offsite rotation of tapes as well.  Works great.

"disk based backups" is a poor way of expressing "backup to disk, then
offload to tape"

for years (when I was supporting TSM and it's ilk), I used this
method.  it improves performance for restores that are needed "the day
after," and uses less tapes and bandwidth later.

i don't know any organization, that values its data, that doesn't do
off site rotation.  oh, and encrypt those tapes!