[TriLUG] [WAY OT] security goons at TigerDirect in Raleigh: "No, thanks!"

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Thu May 31 21:00:06 EDT 2007

Andrew Perrin wrote:
> But what's simplistic about libertarianism, again IMNSHO, is the idea that
> there is a political subject with rights and abilities separable from the
> collectivity within which it occurs.  That's why this situation is so
> bizarre -- why should citizens care more when the state starts digging
> through their person than when a private enterprise does so? There's no
> inherent reason -- it's just that libertarianism decides, a priori, that
> state power is worse than economc power and so opposes it more vigorously.
> Virtually any state action can be justified as a solution to some free
> rider problem or other -- which leaves strict libertarianism with no real
> policy position any more consistent than anybody else's. Which is fine by
> me -- I'm not arguing that you should abandon it, just why I think it's
> overly simplistic.

Andrew:

I respectfully disagree with some of that, but this list isn't the place
for this discussion.  If you care
to chat about this, I'd be happy to carry this conversation on either in
person, via private e-mail
or on a different list.  Otherwise, I'm happy to drop it.  It's not
likely that either of us is going to
change the other's mind anyway. :-)

TTYL,

Phil